Logo
Mike Qadder
The Guardian
Trump indicted by grand jury

Story by Josh Taylor • Yesterday 4:53 pm - 31-3-2023

A grand jury has voted to indict former US president Donald Trump in New York over a US$130,000 hush money payment made to the adult film star Stormy Daniels during the 2016 election. It is the first time in US history that a sitting or former US president has faced a criminal indictment.

The specific charges currently remain under seal but the focus of the long-running investigation had been around the payments made to Daniels in order to buy her silence over the alleged affair during the 2016 election campaign.

Trump responded to the news on Truth Social saying: “They only brought this Fake, Corrupt, and Disgraceful Charge against me because I stand with the American People, and they know that I cannot get a fair trial in New York.”

He is expected to surrender on Tuesday, US time, where he will likely be presented with charges and enter a plea. It’s not clear if he will be handcuffed or not, but there will be fingerprints taken and a mugshot, and a judge will decide on bail.

Trump is already fundraising off the announcement, sending out an email to supporters calling the indictment a witch-hunt that will backfire on US president Joe Biden. He is also reportedly privately pushing for lawmakers in Congress to investigate the Manhattan district attorney, Alvin Bragg, who has become the target of complaints from Republican politicians and friendly media.

It is the first indictment to be announced in any of the ongoing investigations involving the former president. If Trump is convicted, it would not prevent him from running for president.
1 yr. ago

No replys yet!

It seems that this publication does not yet have any comments. In order to respond to this publication from Mike Qadder, click on at the bottom under it