Logo
Lybach Adserver
The Daily Digest
Trump found guilty of abuse: how will it affect his plans to regain the White House?

Story by Zeleb.es • 15-5-2023

Liable for sexual battery and defamation

A Manhattan jury has found former president Donald Trump liable in the E. Jean Carroll lawsuit accusing him of sexual battery and defamation, several media outlets reported.

Abuse in the 90’s

As reported in Newsweek, the nine-person jury determined that Trump likely abused then-Elle magazine columnist Carroll in a Manhattan department store nearly three decades ago.

Defamation ruling

Moreover, the jury also found Trump had defamed Carroll by calling her claims a “hoax” and a “con job” in an October 2022

$5 million in damages

According to The Hill, the jury decided Trump will have to pay Carroll $5 million in damages for her battery and defamation

The verdict might damage his chances of presidency

While the verdict may not affect Trump’s base of supporters, who view the US legal system with scepticism and have stood by him through worse, it may lower his chances to regain the White House in 2024, according to several Republican
Senators.claims.Truth Social post.

“I Don’t think he could win the presidency”

“The fact is, I do not think he could win the presidency,” Sen. John Cornyn of Texas told reporters at a press conference on Capitol Hill. "Regardless of what you think about him as an individual, to me, electability is the sole criterion."

Unlikely to support someone liable for abuse

In the same way, asked whether he could support someone who has been found liable for sexual misconduct as a candidate for president, Sen. Mike Rounds of South Dakota told reporters, “I would have a difficult time doing so.”

Republicans concerned

The Washington Post reported on the feelings of several senators regarding the matter: “He’s been found to be civilly liable. How could it do anything else but create concern?” Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana said.

An ongoing drumbeat

Sen. John Thune of South Dakota suggested that the verdict would most likely be part of “an ongoing drumbeat” throughout Trump’s candidacy.

Drama surrounding Trump

Thune added that while many voters appear to have adopted the view that prosecutors “are out to get” Trump, “people are gonna have to decide whether they want to deal with all the drama that’s going to surround him.”

“I have absolutely no idea who this woman is”

Trump himself has continued to deny Carroll’s claims. "I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHO THIS WOMAN IS. THIS VERDICT IS A DISGRACE — A CONTINUATION OF THE GREATEST WITCH HUNT OF ALL TIME!" he wrote on Truth Social.

Trump successfully bashing De Santis

Up until now, Trump has been building up grass-roots support in key primary states across the US, with a disciplined campaign, political analysts have said, and has managed to methodically undercut his main rival Ron DeSantis.

An avenue for his opponents to attack

However, the abuse and defamation ruling could now give his Republican opponents an avenue for attack as well.

Another historic first for Trump

Furthermore, the ruling is another historic first for a former president who already faces one criminal indictment and, possibly,
has others to come.
1 yr. ago

No replys yet!

It seems that this publication does not yet have any comments. In order to respond to this publication from Lybach Adserver, click on at the bottom under it